What to Expect:
Each class and teacher are unique in their offerings, however, there are common class protocols for all classes.
- Settle In: Arrive about 5-10 minutes early to sign in, take off your shoes off and settle in by setting up your mat and collecting any props (blocks, blankets, straps or bolsters), if needed. We do have mats to rent, the first time you arrive at the studio we will waive this fee.
- Connect to Community: We encourage you to connect with your neighbors and get to know the yoga community. Most teachers start with a centering to prepare you mentally for the practice and to set the tone of the class.
- Move, Breathe, and Adjust: Your teacher will give the class general instructions about a pose, and they may also give you individual instructions to enhance your practice. They may even physically adjust your body while you are in the pose, to help you better understand the actions and movements of the pose. You are welcome to say you would rather not have adjustments. Please share any injuries or other information you think important for the teacher to know prior to teaching the class.
- Relax and Rest: The classes usually end with a brief period of relaxation or meditation.
- Revive: Follow up class by drinking plenty of water and nurture your body. You may experience some soreness after your first class.
- Avoid eating or eat lightly 1-2 hours before a class.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before the start of class. The door will lock about 15 min after the class has begun. Note, if you arrive after the start of the class, please enter quietly and plan to settle up after class.
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely.
- For best grip on the yoga mats, we suggest to practice barefoot. Please remove socks and shoes before entering the studio floor.
- Blocks, straps, blankets & bolsters are available for you to use during class. Mats are also available to rent for $1.
- Please turn cell phones off upon entering the studio.
- Please be respectful of the small practice space and the deep breaths taken by your fellow yogis, by not wearing perfume, oils, fragrant lotions, or pungent smells.
- Let your teachers know if you have any injuries, health conditions or if you are pregnant (if you are pregnant, make sure to consult a doctor before joining us in class).
- Some teachers and classes will chant at the beginning and/or conclusion of class. Join the chanting if you are comfortable doing so. If not, feel free to listen.
- Our classes are not “hot yoga” classes, but the room does get fairly warm, especially on warm summer days. If you know a towel would help with slipping, please bring your own.
- Bringing a water bottle is a good idea and can be brought onto the studio floor. There is a water cooler at the studio where you can fill up.
Here is a list of frequently asked questions. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Where do I park?
There is parking along the streets that border around the studio. Give yourself enough time to ensure you will find a space. Read the signage carefully and watch out for the street cleaning days. There is a small open lot off of Smith Street that is available after 4pm and on weekends.
- When does the studio open?
The teachers open up the studio about 30 mins prior to the start of classes.
- Where do I put my stuff?
There are hooks and cubbies for jackets and bags up in the entrance of the studio. Shoes can be left in or near the cubbies. We ask that no shoes be worn on the studio floor.
- What if I am too stiff to bend over?
You don’t have to be flexible to participate in yoga. We welcome all levels and will support you to feel comfortable and capable throughout your practice.
- Do you have to sign up ahead of time?
No. This is an option that you are able to do through Mindbody, but, not required. If you do sign up online, please also sign in at our sign in sheet.
- Do you have yoga mats to rent?
Yes. We rent the mats for $1. If you are new to the studio these fee is waived the first time.
- Do you have hand towels?
Yes. We have towels available in the back of the studio you are welcome to use.
- Is there water?
Yes. There is a cooler up front that you are welcome to drink from. In the winter months we serve homemade warm herbal chai as a special offering.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate?
Yes. Click here to purchase these online, or come on in and we can get you a gift certificate in person.
- Can I share my class pass?
If you have a 10 class pass card that can be shared. The unlimited memberships and passes are not able to be shared.