Have you enjoyed a cup of our chai tea at the studio yet? It warms your belly and helps that centered, connected feeling you get after a great yoga class last just a little bit longer. Want to make some at home? Try this recipe:
Homemade Spiced Tea
Makes one gallon.
- 4 quarts water
- 30-40 whole cloves
- 40-45 black peppercorns
- 6-8 cinnamon sticks (If the sticks are very thick, use 4-6 sticks.)
- 40-45 whole cardamom pods (Split or crush pods in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to release seeds, but do not remove pods.)
- 14-18 fresh, unpeeled ginger slices (About 1/8-1/4 inch-thick.)
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 3-4 rooibos or decaffeinated black tea bags
1. Add all ingredients to water and bring to a boil.
2. Allow to boil for about two minutes, then reduce to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
3. Turn heat off and add tea bags.
4. Allow to steep for at least an hour and at most overnight before serving.
5. Strain tea thoroughly before serving.
5. May be refrigerated and warmed for up to a week.